Chief Results!

US Navy Chief results are out! And I'm not on the list. What does that mean? Well, the short of it is that I have more work to do before trying again next year.

For those who don't know, making chief in the Navy is about the biggest deal going. A good chief will get more respect by default than anyone on board. A good chief will make or break a division and department. A good chief is where I want to be.


So am I bothered by the fact that I didn't get selected as FCC (SW) Smith? Nope. I knew I didn't have much of a chance to get picked up. I am still learning about how to make chief, like what types of jobs I need to be doing, how to encourage my sailors, how to write evaluations, etc. This is a long road!

Furthermore, I am in a good place right now. God has changed things in my life. I've learned not just how to be content, but how to live in that contentment. By that I mean that I've learned how to share the knowledge and wisdom with younger sailors, and I hope to continue doing so no matter what my rank.

I've still got seven years in the Navy, so chief is still very much an option. We shall see! And for those of you who made it...congrats!

To see the results, click HERE!

8 comments:

steve said...

...Great blog...In 07 I was diagnosed with Spindle Cell Sarcoma and I absolutely begged the man upstairs to see me through it and HE DID...it came back in 09..and once again I BEGGED and HE DID see me through it AGAIN...I know he is here for me...He talks I listen...Now i just need him to look into this Chief thing..hahahahaahah

Phillipines 2:12 . Thats my rock

Zman sends

The Navy Christian said...

I appreciate your thoughts and comment. I don't know if you checked out my other blog, but my daughter has cystic fibrosis, which is, in the end, deadly. I'm sorry that you've had to deal with these things twice over, but I'm glad God has used it as an opportunity to strengthen your faith in him!

Thanks again for stopping by! And we'll get 'em next year!

Alicia said...

Dan, I love this post, and since I live with you I can attest to the fact that this really has been your reaction. I'm so thankful for your contentment! I love you.

Death or Glory Toad said...

I'm with you. Just discovered your blog via Challies. I'm an OS1 in the same area with the same need to be content in waiting for the Lord's timing of promotions. Keep up the faith.

The Navy Christian said...

Thanks for stopping by the blog! I hope you find a lot of it to be interesting. I love Challies...great blog!

We'll get there someday (to chief)...just have to keep looking onto him!

Mark n Misti said...

Good Luck and keep on plugging away at that Dan! i always looked up to the senior people in my unit that seemed to have the most life experiences. They were the ones that I could count on the most.....not the ones that always went by the book on everything. A down to earth quality is a good thing to have in such a structured environment as the military...it will help round you out as a better candidate in the long run!

The Navy Christian said...

Thank you very, very much for this comment. I appreciate the encouragement so much!

Mark n Misti said...

No problem Dan. You sound like a very level headed individual, you will make it.